Sunday, January 19, 2014

Overwhelm Explained

To kind of give you a better idea about my high sensitivity I thought of another example that illustrates what I deal with day to day.

This is an example that has nothing to do with emotions since usually my intense emotions are part of my high sensitivity. I wanted to give you an idea of how my high sensitivity is not simply emotional.

Yesterday my high sensitivity put me in an overwhelmed exhausted state.  My boys and I went to the park with my girlfriend and her two kids, her new puppy, and another dog.  This overwhelmed my nervous system to the point of exhaustion because my motherly instincts kicked in and I was trying to keep an eye on all six of the kids/dogs and make sure everyone was safe and where they needed to be.

I started to get the feeling that my head was spinning, my senses were in overdrive, and I could feel my entire body exhausting from this.

We were only at the park for about an hour but by the time we left, I walked home in a daze and then had to go lay down for a while.

The reason I believe that this overwhelmed me is because it was too much stimulation from trying to keep an eye on six quick-moving beings at once who were all going in different directions.  It was a lot of outside stimulation at one time.